Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do some people just suck?
Starwind
Nightmare fuel station attendant
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Do some people just suck?
Are some people, no matter how interested they are in the topic or how high quality the information they get their hands on, just permanently destined to fail with all attempts at magic and energy manipulation? When do you know for sure that you just are not the slightest bit special and it's time to give up and expend the energy in a more productive way? Or is it just a case of keep trying, eventually you'll get *somewhere* if you clear your mind enough/want it bad enough/read *this* book/whatever?

I'm thinking I'm just a phantom tailed leaky squib.

"I" often refers to unusually large values of 1...
[Image: sort-python3.gif]
2008-06-24 22:53
Find
Give Thanks
Selcar
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Re: Do some people just suck?
Yes, but with something of a long answer attached with it. Some people find energy manipulation difficult, some find it as something easy (personally, there seems to much of the latter found online for every claim to be true). It can also depend on an array of factors, what system is being used, what tools are being used, and the theory behind it in terms of mechanics, symbolism, and psychology. I do not think that anyone is entirely incapable of energy work - just require a much greater deal of work (not always a bad thing). A lot of things can contribute to repeated failures in terms of magic or energy (confidence is a large factor), but I do think there comes a point where if one is struggling (or even not) they need to examine if they want to put an enormous amount of work into it, and why - what they hope to achieve in the ends of the study. Personally, I tend to feel the latter is overlooked too often, and remember that in most traditions, it took years of practice and study to achieve the result desired.

"Justice, like lightning, should appear, to few men's ruin but to all men's fear."

[Image: Selcar.jpg]
2008-06-24 23:02
Find
Give Thanks
Taiaka
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Starwind Wrote:Are some people, no matter how interested they are in the topic or how high quality the information they get their hands on, just permanently destined to fail with all attempts at magic and energy manipulation? When do you know for sure that you just are not the slightest bit special and it's time to give up and expend the energy in a more productive way? Or is it just a case of keep trying, eventually you'll get *somewhere* if you clear your mind enough/want it bad enough/read *this* book/whatever?

I'm thinking I'm just a phantom tailed leaky squib.

Sweety, you're not a leaky squib. There's no book or article in the world that you can read and say "Ah ha! I knew it!". I wish there was, but sadly magic (for all intents and purposes) is a very personal thing. In fact, you may not be failing at your attempts at all, results from one person to another vary as much as their faces. You're not going to be able to shoot fire out of your fingers, your not going to be able to make your pet cat begin singing Carmen's Habanera. The energy work you do may be affecting you without you even knowing it! If its easier, think of magic like a sugar-pill, a big placebo. The more you believe that its not going to work, that its impossible to work, to more impossible it truly becomes. Like I said, magic is personal. If anyone had the ability to produce hardcore emperical evidence that they can perform acts of arcane wonder, they would do it. And if they could, then you could say "well hell, I can't".

I believe that magic should be comforting in the same way prayer can be comforting.

For example, say you're driving at night and it starts raining so hard that you get afraid. You can't see, the windshield wipers aren't moving fast enough, there's no room to pull over...So you draw from your energy, your hope and your very life essence, and you believe that you can influence that fateful rainstorm. Minutes pass and suddenly the rain seems to get calmer and you take a deep breath and nod your head, knowing you can make it to your destination safely. Now, is this magic? All depends if you believe it is. It could be something as mundane as the fact that the storm just let up on its own accord, you drove out of its core. But the simantics are not important really if, for that terrorfying moment in your car, you made yourself feel better. In that way, its magic.

It is not a matter of if you're 'special', magic is not a matter of being 'touched'. Its all about belief. And, this is the good news, since you seem to be rather down that you're not getting solid results, it means you care and it means you believe that it can be achieved! That's really important, its the foundation you need and the thing that most people struggle with. So, you're ahead of the game in that regard.

But let me ask you this, what kind of magic are you most interested in? What draws you? What would you like to achieve?

TaiTai

"Will minus intellect constitutes vulgarity." -Arthur Schopenhauer

[Image: smokersigwt8.jpg]
2008-06-25 17:14
Find
Give Thanks
Kreyas
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

From my experience, I've found that those kin that definitely knew how to manipulate energy in a past life often have the most difficulty learning how to use it in this life (that, or extreme ease - there doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground).

These individuals that find it difficult, often I have found in my experience that they are essentially trying too hard. They're trying to feel what they're told to feel or do what they're told to do rather than tapping their inner knowledge that already has this knowledge. Rather than just doing it, they essentially overthink it and it never works. Sometimes it just takes a moment of zen for them to realize their inner ability. Granted, sometimes when that moment of zen ends, they're back at square one - but at least it boosts confidence and as a result chips away at the "this is how it's supposed to be done" mindset to uncover their prior knowledge of these techniques.

Just my two cents.

Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
2008-06-26 1:22
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Kreyas Wrote:From my experience, I've found that those kin that definitely knew how to manipulate energy in a past life often have the most difficulty learning how to use it in this life (that, or extreme ease - there doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground).

These individuals that find it difficult, often I have found in my experience that they are essentially trying too hard. They're trying to feel what they're told to feel or do what they're told to do rather than tapping their inner knowledge that already has this knowledge. Rather than just doing it, they essentially overthink it and it never works. Sometimes it just takes a moment of zen for them to realize their inner ability. Granted, sometimes when that moment of zen ends, they're back at square one - but at least it boosts confidence and as a result chips away at the "this is how it's supposed to be done" mindset to uncover their prior knowledge of these techniques.

Just my two cents.

Absolutely. Forcing it is just going to block your mind. The closest analogy I've got for it is that you have to hold what you want in your mind like you would hold an egg. Carefully, but not forcefully. Too much pressure will break it, and too little concentration will make it so that you drop it.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-06-26 2:01
Find
Give Thanks
Granamyr
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Magick and energy work just isn't everyone's cup of tea. No worries. I would definitely say if it's not working out for you to find something that will further your path and life experience.

Gods bless!
2008-06-26 3:06
Find
Give Thanks
Kreyas
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Granamyr Wrote:Magick and energy work just isn't everyone's cup of tea. No worries. I would definitely say if it's not working out for you to find something that will further your path and life experience.

Gods bless!

That is a good point. One Raksha I know, she isn't so great at tapping the metaphysical capabilities of our kintype on a conscious level (it's certainly there at a subconscious level though). However, she is more knowledgeable about our kintype's culture, tactics, organization and history than I am. Maybe it's just a difference of what you remember. If you remember the metaphysical stuff, that'll come easier to you. Otherwise, the other stuff you know will mold you as an individual. My metaphysical capabilities have molded me as an individual, whereas she has been more molded by the cultural aspect of our kintype.

Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
2008-06-26 3:21
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I think of it like art..

Everyone can produce art, but not everyone can produce the result they initially intended. To be able to produce the piece of art that you initially intended you need either A: Hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of practice (Not an overstatement). or B: A large amount of talent as well as a few hundred hours of practice.
On top of that, not every artist can be a sculptor, not every artist can be a painter, etc.

So for magic, find the tools (actual tools, systems, phylosophies, etc, etc, etc,) that best suit you, and put a lot of time and energy into study and practice, and one day, you can produce results.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-06-26 11:36
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I agree pretty much, don't try too hard, and do what feels right to you. I completely suck at certain kinds of magic, but other kinds come naturally. Yours may even be something you haven't considered yet. Are you naturally right-brained or left-brained? Do you belong in nature or in a study, or somewhere else entirely? Which of your senses come through the strongest? Do you like to sing? Dance? Paint? Write?

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-06-27 2:04
Find
Give Thanks
Starwind
Nightmare fuel station attendant
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I seem to be incapable of even the most basic visualization/relaxation/meditation type exercises - I cannot quiet my mind or relax my body enough for anything, ever. Sometimes I can try really hard at an energy work exercise and I just end up more tired than I started with. People throw "shields, shields, shields!" at me all the time like everyone can do them, but sometimes I get to the point where I write psionics off as nothing more than a collective hallucination among people who want to think they're special! (not that "whether I can do it" is a good standard of whether something exists or not - if it was, we wouldn't have art, music, sports...wouldn't have math, either, though!)

And as far as "spell" type stuff goes, I wrote that stuff off a long time ago, having no higher efficacy despite being generally more complex and requiring more ingredients, than garden variety "as your mommy taught you" prayer. I've considered that maybe I'm dealing with the wrong deities, then anytime I look for a sign to identify exactly who I *am* dealing with, if it's not who I thought, whoever's involved seems to clam up on me.

I am basically completely untalented in mundane subjects as well, so I guess this shouldn't come as much of a surprise. It would just be nice for there to be something in this world that I didn't suck absolutely horribly at.

"I" often refers to unusually large values of 1...
[Image: sort-python3.gif]
2008-06-27 22:27
Find
Give Thanks