Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Types of Shapeshifters
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Different Types of Shapeshifters
We've discussed polymorphs somewhat. I know a bit about Jinn.

What other types of shapeshifting creatures are there?

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2008-02-12 21:39
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Re: Different Types of Shapeshifters
Rakshasa were shapeshifters..

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-02-12 22:08
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Werewolves as well as other animals (werebears, werecats, etc.) are shapeshifters in traditional lore. However, as far as I know, physically shapeshifting into an animal is not possible.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2008-02-13 16:38
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

There are various accounts about concerning dragons and their having a shape shifting abilities

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-02-13 16:45
Find
Give Thanks
Taiaka
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Hmmmmm......there are so many latin prefixes out there that we can make up our own words and coin new kintypes. Like 'polywere', 'pantherian', etc. But kintype labels are fleeting and relative.

You mentioned the Djinn though. I find this interesting. The ghul from pre-islamic arabic myth is a form of shapeshifting djinn. I think its really important to liken the djinn to the idea of a 'demon' for that is how they were represented; the temptation of magic and the lesson 'beware what you wish for' are all appropreated and subsequentially forgotten. The role of 'demon' has become a predominately judeo-christian belief while, even as we speak, the term 'djinn' is the word for foreign possession by melevolent spirits in the islam faith.

Standing nominclature and biblical mythos aside, we're left with the possibility of a complex race of creatures with unknown origins and obsolete text. In my studies of Babylonian astronomy, I have run across the legend of the Djinn and an unnamed 'sister' race that once vied for earthly domain. Sure the legend is steeped in the usual trappings of fiction, i.e antagonists/protagonists, the aspects of good and evil. But if we shove away the simantics, we are left with two races that are said to have the ability to take the form of any creature they encounter. One, the Djinn, are said to use the energy of self to achieve this while their 'sister' race, are said to use the energy of the earth (other than self) to change forms.

*shrugs* I dunno, I just read a lot.

"Will minus intellect constitutes vulgarity." -Arthur Schopenhauer

[Image: smokersigwt8.jpg]
2008-02-13 19:29
Find
Give Thanks
lemur
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I'm not sure if I would be able to shapeshift into an animal in my true form, but I do know that my true form could change her features.
2008-02-14 18:34
Find
Give Thanks