Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Types Of Dreams
Varkadevi
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Different Types Of Dreams
Dreams: Brain vomit, Insightful symbolism? Messages from the Beyond? Or something else entirely? I have reason to believe all of those might be true. While it is generally thought that dreams are merely a function of parts of the brain that are usually dormant during the waking hours, there might be some truth in dreams having "other" qualities. First I'll use the example of "Hypnotic Suggestion". Essentially, during parts of sleep and also while in certain deep trance states, the brain is still receptive to the senses as well as processing them. Take for example an instance of falling asleep with the television on, during which time a or more dreams might occur which possess content from a television program which aired during unconsciousness. Secondly I will bring up the fact that spirits are sometimes able to produce voices and other sounds which are audible to the human ear(however inaudible EVP seem to be more common). With these two things together, as well as other possible psychic phenomena I believe that it is possible for a spirit(or any being in vicinity) to influence one's dreams through this method and possibly others as well. In my case such occurrences often coincide with waking phenomena as well. Thoughts, Experiences?

sidenote: Scientific studies have determined that the human mind only ever produces faces in it's dreams that it has viewed before, it does not create "new" ones. I thought it was interesting when taken with my personal experiences.. (I forget for the life of me where I read this, could anyone corroborate this or recall the study?. Listverse, maybe?)

“A considerable percentage of the people we meet on the street are people who are empty inside, that is, they are actually already dead. It is fortunate for us that we do not see and do not know it.”
- G.I. Gurdjieff
2010-08-12 2:17
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Re: Different Types Of Dreams
Varkadevi Wrote:sidenote: Scientific studies have determined that the human mind only ever produces faces in it's dreams that it has viewed before, it does not create "new" ones. I thought it was interesting when taken with my personal experiences.. (I forget for the life of me where I read this, could anyone corroborate this or recall the study?. Listverse, maybe?)

I've read a fair bit of scientific dream research (in other words - not popular articles etc, but actual papers and textbooks written by field leaders) and I don't recall hearing anything like this before. Source? If you don't have a source then I'm not sure you can claim it to be factual.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2010-08-12 22:36
Find
Give Thanks
Varkadevi
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I read it here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://listverse.com/2007/11/14/top-10-amazing-facts-about-dreams/">http://listverse.com/2007/11/14/top-10- ... ut-dreams/</a><!-- m -->

"Our dreams are frequently full of strangers who play out certain parts – did you know that your mind is not inventing those faces – they are real faces of real people that you have seen during your life but may not know or remember? The evil killer in your latest dream may be the guy who pumped petrol in to your Dad’s car when you were just a little kid. We have all seen hundreds of thousands of faces through our lives, so we have an endless supply of characters for our brain to utilize during our dreams."

Strangely there is no citation for that point, ah well.

~FD

“A considerable percentage of the people we meet on the street are people who are empty inside, that is, they are actually already dead. It is fortunate for us that we do not see and do not know it.”
- G.I. Gurdjieff
2010-08-13 0:30
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Sort of sounds made up, to be honest.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2010-08-13 2:47
Find
Give Thanks
skorpio
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Varkadevi Wrote:Dreams: Brain vomit, Insightful symbolism? Messages from the Beyond? Or something else entirely?

I think some guy won an award for stating that dreams are the brain's way of "taking out the trash".
But I agree with the four of them.

"Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home."
- James Joyce
2010-08-13 22:40
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Listverse is maybe not the most reliable of sources, but sometimes it links sources to it's things, which is awesome, but in this actual point, it did not. So....
How 'bout a better source?

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2010-08-17 21:56
Find
Give Thanks
Acta non Verba
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

My dodgy Notion

So here it is. I used to be very interested in dreaming. I studied, and practiced, techniques to achieve lucidity for a few years. One of the requirements for this was the strict maintenance of a dream journal in order to increase one's capacity to remember dreams. My strict recording brought about some unlooked for info. it seems, to me, that there are at least three kinds of "dreams." I have named them tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3...because I am lame like that.

I shall now report on their seeming properties.

Tier one is completely malleable. malleable to the utmost extent. They can be shaped in absolutely any way, as if they were mere constructs of your own mind...which is what I think they are. For lack of better words, they "vibrate" at a lower...frequency I guess. The content of such dreams tends to be things we deal with everyday, what some psychologists might lovingly term, "head trash." it's the stuff processed by our mind every day and according to some head doctors, needs to be processed and discarded in dreams.

Tier 2: Not quite as malleable. The surroundings seem to display random resistance to shaping, other "beings" in the dreams simply cannot be shaped, The dreaming self is completely shape-able, as with tier 1. These "vibrate" a bit higher. In formation is random, not so "mundane." My interpretation is that this may be something like the collective consciousness. In such a place we would be competing with the wills of others resulting in resistance to attempts to shape things. I think I reside still in my head, but may be receiving outer information in these dreams

Tier 3: This "vibrates" the highest. IME, the surroundings greatly resist shaping...and....the self is also a bit less malleable. Malleability is still higher than waking life. i get the impression of something existing independently from the minds of those which wander it. These dreams seem soaked in a resonance that seems a lot like stuff I have come across that I have called 'fae" energy before (which is odd to me). I can feel it sort of all over me when I wake, but it lasts only a split second. It is in these kinds of dreams that I have met up with others and later discovered that we had the same dream. These dreams flow in a way more logical fashion. They do not jump from place to place like tiers 1 and 2 can. Once entered, they are moved through in a more linear progression. By that I simply mean a flow of cause and effect is followed. The content varies. I have seen modern technology in these, but I have also noted a higher "population" if you will of things that resemble things that usually show up in mythologies.

My interpretation of this is that I may not be in my head. (I do not like this notion, I would hate to leave my body so unprotected...and I don't buy into "shielding." )
2010-08-19 3:01
Find
Give Thanks