Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definition of Angel?
Rixem
In an Ongoing Existential Crisis
Kintype: Unsure
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick 

Definition of Angel?
I'm curious if there's a common consensus on what qualifies as an angel in the otherkin world.

How I grew up, the common idea of angels is:
* they are physically unable to disobey God & also unable to WANT to disobey (meaning there are no "fallen angels")
* there's a lot of diversity in how each one looks (not the stereotypical "beautiful human with white bird wings" thing), but they're often large & scary in their natural form
* they can make themselves invisible or to look like a human
* they're a separate creature than humans, thus it's not possible for a human to "become" an angel or vise versa

...so anything that does NOT fit that description wouldn't be considered an angel among the people I grew up with.

Different religions have different ideas of angels, so does each person just consider their own religion when they call themselves an angel? Or is it possible that you're not exactly an angel, but what you are is most similar to the standard idea of an angel?

Are there any angel-kin who DON'T attribute it to a spiritual cause?

Any angel-kin who don't believe in the existence of a deity?

(If anyone's curious what my PFP is, I had a dream I saw mother nature once & she looked like this.)
2022-11-21 4:32
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

RE: Definition of Angel?
Rixem Wrote:How I grew up, the common idea of angels is:
* they are physically unable to disobey God & also unable to WANT to disobey (meaning there are no "fallen angels")
* there's a lot of diversity in how each one looks (not the stereotypical "beautiful human with white bird wings" thing), but they're often large & scary in their natural form
* they can make themselves invisible or to look like a human
* they're a separate creature than humans, thus it's not possible for a human to "become" an angel or vise versa

This seems specific to the Christian idea of an angel: Abrahamic angels.

Rixem Wrote:Or is it possible that you're not exactly an angel, but what you are is most similar to the standard idea of an angel?

The term for a non-Christian angel is just called a celestial.

As far as I'm aware, "angel" like how most Americans define it, are specifically the Christian ones.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2022-11-22 2:50
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem

(2022-11-22 2:50)Elinox Wrote:  
Rixem Wrote:Or is it possible that you're not exactly an angel, but what you are is most similar to the standard idea of an angel?

The term for a non-Christian angel is just called a celestial.

As far as I'm aware, "angel" like how most Americans define it, are specifically the Christian ones.

It makes sense to separate "angel" from "celestial" then.
How would you know the difference between a celestial and an energy being though? Would a starseed be a celestial?

(If anyone's curious what my PFP is, I had a dream I saw mother nature once & she looked like this.)
2022-11-22 4:57
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

(2022-11-22 4:57)Rixem Wrote:  How would you know the difference between a celestial and an energy being though? Would a starseed be a celestial?

Energy beings are entities made up of energy and don't necessarily have a set form, other than representing with a ball of light or electricity. Celestials, while not necessarily tied to a specific religion, often have a humanoid form with wings.

I'm not that familiar with starseeds, since they seem to be rare within the 'kin community. But from what I know of them, they're not celestials. Rather, they come from elsewhere (ie. not earth) and are often connected to a specific star or planet. I think starseeds may be another term for a specific type of alien.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2022-11-22 16:31
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem

(2022-11-22 16:31)Elinox Wrote:  
(2022-11-22 4:57)Rixem Wrote:  How would you know the difference between a celestial and an energy being though? Would a starseed be a celestial?

Energy beings are entities made up of energy and don't necessarily have a set form, other than representing with a ball of light or electricity. Celestials, while not necessarily tied to a specific religion, often have a humanoid form with wings.

Ah, I see why there's overlap for me. How I grew up, angels are thought of as being made of light or energy rather than a humanoid with wings.

(2022-11-22 16:31)Elinox Wrote:  I'm not that familiar with starseeds, since they seem to be rare within the 'kin community. But from what I know of them, they're not celestials. Rather, they come from elsewhere (ie. not earth) and are often connected to a specific star or planet. I think starseeds may be another term for a specific type of alien.

I guess I was taking celestial more literally (as in "someone from the sky/space"). I'm surprised to hear starseeds are rare among otherkin. I can imagine reincarnation could be real & I can imagine there are people somewhere else in the universe, so starseeds don't seem too out-there.

2022-11-22 17:30
Find
Give Thanks