Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day of Silence, Today, April 17th.
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Day of Silence, Today, April 17th.
Link Here

Quote:The National Day of Silence brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. Each year the event has grown, now with hundreds of thousands of students coming together to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior.

(Only heard of it today myself)
Anyone here participating?
If you're as new to it as me, are you now thinking of making sure you remember it next year? (like me)

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-04-17 11:32
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Day of Silence, Today, April 17th.
Had I known about it before getting dressed this morning, I would have worn red or some other bright color (instead I"m wearing black and jeans). And because I'm at work, I can't very well keep silent. But I will try to remember for next year! It's a great idea to get this information out there! (People should realize it anyway, but, well, they don't.)

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2009-04-17 13:25
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I've got choir today. But... I have a bit of an issue with "how to observe". It seems to say that you can do whatever you want as long as you're respectful.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2009-04-17 14:09
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Never heard of it before. I'm not sure how one would observe it.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2009-04-17 16:36
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

I didn't realize it was today...had to work so couldn't really have participated anyway. At my college they always pass out ribbons for the DOS and tshirts that say "Gay? Fine by me!" for people to wear. I did it at school all 4 years.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2009-04-17 20:08
Find
Give Thanks
Rain
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Call me cynical, call me apathetic, but I'm getting tired of all the "moment of silences" for every little thing, much less a "day". People need to move on, and drawing attention to the fact that it is still there is not going to make it better. DO something for once instead of watching others do it as you give yourself false comfort with your silence.

This is worse than the time everybody was asked to turn off the lights at a certain time for two hours. Two hours is 120 minutes and is the equivalent of about turning off the lights just four minutes earlier four for a month, much less an entire year. If you were really serious about "saving the environment", you would even unplug your appliances and such things when they're not in use and other such things.

The 120 minutes is just a cheap way to say "I really care about the environment" when you're really not doing a thing. This is just a cheap way to say "I support those LGBT people" without actually stepping up to help them. All it does is clean your bloody conscience.

~~~
2009-04-17 20:09
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Rain Wrote:Call me cynical, call me apathetic, but I'm getting tired of all the "moment of silences" for every little thing, much less a "day". People need to move on, and drawing attention to the fact that it is still there is not going to make it better. DO something for once instead of watching others do it as you give yourself false comfort with your silence.

This is just a cheap way to say "I support those LGBT people" without actually stepping up to help them. All it does is clean your bloody conscience.
Did you read the site?

There's a reason for why it's a day of silence.
Drawing attention to the problem, acknowledging it, is something you have to do if they are ever to hope to change the problem at all.

This is "action", it might not be the action "you" personally think people should take (feel free to go shoo people towards that yourself if you want it to happen), but it's bloody well better than nothing.

And you should take 2 seconds to wonder if anyone posting about it is a member of the LGBT community, *waves*, before posting insinuative insults.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-04-17 20:57
Find
Give Thanks
Rain
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I did look at what it was to begin with, but I decided from your comment that I should look deeper into the matter on the site.

And it didn't change my mind.

I'm angry because it gives people a "cop-out" excuse. Ok, so they see it, so what do they do? They partake in this day of silence and they've done their part. They've now contributed to solving the problem.

No.

Not even close.

I'm pretty sure the problem has been acknowledged many times over by now. Acknowledging the problem isn't going to save those kids who are beaten and bullied. The people who cause the pain and suffering don't care at all if you tell them "I know what you're doing". Heck, they will probably enjoy that fact. You won't change their mind with this, and as long as their mind is set, there's pretty much nothing you can do by "acknowledging" it that hasn't been done before.

And before you think I'm insulting LGBT, you should also think about my motive for reacting so hostilely towards this to begin with, of all things for me to be passionate about. It's *not enough*. Maybe where you live and where I live are completely different, though, and this is actually effective, in which case I am very much appreciative that such a thing has helped you and that it *was* enough.

~~~
2009-04-18 3:29
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

So you think that 'nothing' is better than 'not enough?' I don't get that reasoning.

I know we can't get the diehard homophobes to change their ways. It's not intended to do that. Campaigns of any kind are designed to speak to those in the middle, who might still be swayed. It might make those in between think twice before they go along with someone else's joke or prank. It won't cure it, but it may lessen it. Life is never an all or nothing deal.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2009-04-18 3:44
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I'm a little bit on Rain's side on this, except that I don't believe that this is entirely pointless. The main thing I have trouble with is that this was a Day of Silence. Silence rarely helps anyone, especially minority groups that are trying to be accepted. Speaking, letting some information out, and generally helping to get rid of ignorant prejudices would do a lot more for the cause, as far as I can tell.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2009-04-18 5:43
Find
Give Thanks