Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darren Shan: The Demonata
skorpio
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Darren Shan: The Demonata
Anyway for a while I was reading these books until
I saw his portrayal of demons, saying they had no real mind and that they were all monsters, and his grotesque descriptions of demons. I found these offensive and stopped reading them. And as for The Saga of Darren Shan...well, I don't think you want to know.
Does anyone else think this?

"Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home."
- James Joyce
2009-05-16 19:50
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Re: Darren Shan: The Demonata
The thing with the word Demon is that it means a ton of things and it's kind of moot to get "offended" when descriptions differ from personal kintypes.
Personally, I find it silly to call oneself "demon" and mean "being of chaos" and I avoid using the word altogether, because, no matter what it's most common usage on this forum is, it can still mean any of the following.

a) Anything dark/evil and scary.
b) Fallen angels
c) Horrible, grotesque creatures created by satan.
d) spiritual entities of any kind.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-05-16 21:17
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

That would be a little like me being offended by the portrayal of Shadows in Babylon 5.

Just because something has the same label or name as you, doesn't mean it's the same thing as you.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2009-05-17 22:34
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Personally, I liked the Demonata series.

And, with the exception of Loren(that green guy who reads your thoughts when you sing) off of that Angel spin-off of Buffy, I've yet to find a... favorable? Depiction of a demon in Western media.

I go for books for the plot line, not whether they depict anything remotely resembling me. And I'm not offended when someone says "hey, demons are bad," because hey, my usage of the term "demon" is not as widespread as the dark, doomy usage.

So no big deal. It's comparable to a therian getting offended by werewolves in movies. o.O;;

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2009-06-27 19:38
Find
Give Thanks
Cerridwen
Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Hahaha... I read the Darran Shan saga series last year. It wasn't half bad, but going to the kid's section to read them was embaressing.

I am what I am, whatever that may be.
2009-07-24 1:59
Find
Give Thanks
skorpio
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

They made a film out of the first three books, just saw it, and I actually enjoyed it despite my first impression of it.

"Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home."
- James Joyce
2009-10-25 19:55
Find
Give Thanks