Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consider Humans Therian?
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Consider Humans Therian?
Someone probably had this thought already but since i don't think it was here...

So reincarnated humans that have lived other lives as a human, shouldn't they be considered theirians as well?
I mean, they are earth based animals who are quite real and proven to exist.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-09-05 20:55
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Consider Humans Therian?
I think that my interpretation of therianthropy is quite different than that which I normally encounter.

I define therianthropy as having traits or qualities that are not native or natural to one's physical species. This may include humans having animal traits, animals having human (or any other type of creature) traits, angels having feline traits, etc. It also includes the potential for these traits to be shifting or not. The traits may be present due to reincarnation, psychology or any number of causes.
So, humans that have human traits due to whatever cause would not be therians, in my opinion.

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2008-09-05 21:13
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

My personal definition of otherkin is someone who has an internal and intrinsic connection to a non-human animal. Most often because their soul is not human. Humans who've had human past lives are still human. If your soul is human and you're in a human body...you're still human-kin. So no, I wouldn't consider them to be therians.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-09-05 23:12
Find
Give Thanks
Valamezar
Condordancer, Bannsänger, professional Nurse, Remote Viewer and Trainer of it, Webadmin and Artist (Singer, Painter and Writer)
Kintype:
Otherkin:

What about the Hindus? I always think on their system of reincarnation which states that you have to go through all experiences, human, animal, deities and demons, all of them - literally. If you do not believe me google it, it is fact. Are all people living in India and of hinduistic or one of the other religions there Otherkin?

If some people really see angels where others see only empty space, let them paint the angels. (John Ruskin, 1819 - 1900, english critic and writer)
2008-09-05 23:28
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I interpret "therian" as having the soul or otherwise identity of an animal. Key word is "animal".

I am yet to actually meet people who believe that humans are on the same level of ethics, culture, or intellect as any non-human animal; it's tied in, to me, with having the identity of something lower down the food scale.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-09-05 23:33
Find
Give Thanks
Anonymous
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

My personal definition of Therianthropy basically means an internal, close, life-long connection with a specific non-human animal (or animals.) Some might have this thanks to past lives, but the question remains if a past life automatically means such characteristics cling to your soul/spirit. My personal belief is, not in all cases. At any rate, I do not believe my personal Therianthropy is thanks in part to past-lives.

I think only the people whom do have what I described above, no matter what their past lives/beliefs are (there are some Atheist Therianthropes, after all,) are actually Therians.
2008-09-06 1:31
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I'm going to agree with Seraphyna on this, and very partially Archer. If we were to consider this from an otherkin perspective, then yeah, humans wouldn't be therians because humans that are born as humans don't really count as otherkin. However, from a therian perspective, who may not have the "non-human" additive- I don't really know- then the noble ape of tools and fire may count as an animal, and therefore free game for being a therian. Although they would probably make the same arguments against this theory that Archer did, so either way humans (with human souls) don't get to join the club.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-09-06 1:41
Find
Give Thanks
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Valamezar Wrote:What about the Hindus? I always think on their system of reincarnation which states that you have to go through all experiences, human, animal, deities and demons, all of them - literally. If you do not believe me google it, it is fact. Are all people living in India and of hinduistic or one of the other religions there Otherkin?

That's actually the process I quote to explain my therianthropy (the process only though, I don't think the moral standards apply). That is also why I think otherkin/therianthropy is actually pretty common (maybe not everyone, but a good chunk of the population, like 1/3 of humans), since reincarnation applies to lots of people's beliefs. So yes, they would be, at least the way I view it. Though in that sense, the soul itself isn't actually a soul of any single species, it just happens to be in a certain creature's body. It's not really connected to the body, almost like the body "is old clothes" to be discarded after use.

Though the way I learned it, you (as in, the soul), if you wanted to experiance life or as divine punishment, did have to go through at least 3 or 4 lifetimes (this is required before you even get to work your way up), and then succeed at whatever roles they were meant to do. If you went through those lives as intended, then you can work your way up the ladder in the next life or so and be able to attain enlightenment/Nirvana (this is where Hinduism and Buddhism likes to overlap). It couldn't be that you had to go through EVERY kind of experiance though, that would just be too much. There's just too many kinds of experiences to get within one species let alone all of them.

As for the original question, no, they are not "other" kin, because they are not "other" than human. However, if we were to follow that bodies=clothing analogy I mentioned before, then no one would be otherkin. They would just be their own unique uncategorized selves, and any creature they played the part of would merely be an experiance, not what THEY (again, as in the soul itself) physically were and are.
2008-09-06 2:01
Give Thanks
freelanceangel
customer service *facepalm*
Kintype:
Otherkin:

*nodding at WhiteFox* It makes you wonder, doesn't it, if we can actually consider ourselves anything at all? I mean a soul is just a package of energy which changes aspects to occupy a physical body. Are angels any different from released souls? Isn't it possible for an uncategorized bundle of energy to become anything it likes, be it dragon, demon, wolf, mouse, tiger, unicorn, fae? And would that 'packaging' make any difference to the essential being of the energy, or merely change the wavelength for a while? Could you consider the energy a particular type after it had experienced a life as a mouse because of that wavelength change? Would the change even be permanent? ^_^ I love metaphysics.

[Image: frelanceangelbanner.png]
Banner/Avatar done by the GLORIOUS Elinox: THANK YOU!
2008-09-08 17:54
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I had been wondering the same question, actually. I have a friend who says he's imbued with a human soul, the primitive human...I'm inclined to believe that they may be a therian of sorts because if the soul is more animal-like (before there were homosapiens and mostly the more ape-like human) then I think they could be called a Therian because it would make the soul completely different than the today human...

I really hope I made sense, lol.

--Sarah

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2008-09-08 20:00
Find
Give Thanks