Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connection to Dragons, but not Kin?
Rixem
In an Ongoing Existential Crisis
Kintype: Unsure
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick 

Connection to Dragons, but not Kin?
It's been interesting reading posts from people who are dragonkin.

I definitely have a connection to dragons of all types, but particularly Asian dragons.
* They're one of my favorite things to draw
* Everybody in middle school associated dragons with me
* I have this silver ring that looks like an Asian dragon & I've been wearing it almost 24/7 since I got it (& it's with me at all times), it's a source of comfort somehow
* When I want to claim something as "mine", my first thought is always to draw a dragon on it (I've also considered getting a tattoo of a dragon to make my body feel more like "mine")

But the interesting thing is I don't really think I'm dragonkin?
* I don't have any memories, dreams, visions, shifts, etc for this kintype
* If I try to imagine myself as being really big or having scales, it doesn't seem right

Now that I type all this out, I do sometimes "see" myself with horns. Not "see" with my eyes though. I feel a little better with them. But I hadn't ever thought to attribute this to dragons (or to anything other than my imagination).

Anyone have any thoughts?

(If anyone's curious what my PFP is, I had a dream I saw mother nature once & she looked like this.)
2022-11-16 23:40
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

RE: Connection to Dragons, but not Kin?
(2022-11-16 23:40)Rixem Wrote:  But the interesting thing is I don't really think I'm dragonkin?
* I don't have any memories, dreams, visions, shifts, etc for this kintype
* If I try to imagine myself as being really big or having scales, it doesn't seem right

To be fair, you don't have to have memories to be any type of 'kin. Some 'kin prescribe to the psychological reasoning behind why they're 'kin.

Also, some dragons are small. There's fairy dragons that are tiny and medium-sized dragons too. And Asian dragons aren't always huge, they vary in size. In fact, I think sometimes they can even change their size/shape.

Dragons, Asian ones included, are individuals and vary in their physical descriptions as much as humans do. Wink

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2022-11-18 16:07
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem

(2022-11-18 16:07)Elinox Wrote:  To be fair, you don't have to have memories to be any type of 'kin. Some 'kin prescribe to the psychological reasoning behind why they're 'kin.

My understanding is "psychological reasoning" is an umbrella term that could be a lot of different things.

I figured some people study animals & realize their own instincts & thought processes line up with that animal's. But with dragons, that's harder to do.

I figured another version of psychological reasoning could be if someone sees themselves in their mind's eye as a dragon. But I don't know much about that or why people have certain images of themselves in their head.

I'm curious how different dragonkin consider themselves so.

(If anyone's curious what my PFP is, I had a dream I saw mother nature once & she looked like this.)
2022-11-18 18:07
Find
Give Thanks
Observant Demon
Fly on the wall
Kintype: Demonae
Otherkin: Unsure
Contribution: new

I am glad this issue was brought to the fore; at one point I thought my 'kin' was dragon as well considering my utter fascination with dragons.
While I did actually have vague dreams of being one I was and still am unsure what it actually represents.

I do recall a dream where I was flying and in the dream I looked over my 'shoulder' and seen a orange-bronze colored wings which were an extension of my arms.
However I did not feel like the typical fantasy-type dragon nor did I really have any of the sensations or feelings that one might attribute to a dragon save for the insatiable desire to fly under my own power but that 'desire' is apparently a 'normal' human desire to break free of gravity's hold..or so I am told.

Sometimes I did have other vague dreams of being a dragon but was exploited by ungrateful humans..there IS one dream in which I was said dragon and I finally told off the the people who had been exploiting me and the shocked look on their faces was priceless but as I flew off I felt a strange sense of being lost as I now had to figure out what to do next.

Anyways I am still unsure whether dragon is still a part of me or if it was just a bunch of metaphorical stuff my subconscious was using in order to convey a message...I don't know...

I drew my own avatar

Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
2022-11-28 22:09
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem

(2022-11-28 22:09)Observant Demon Wrote:  Sometimes I did have other vague dreams of being a dragon but was exploited by ungrateful humans..there IS one dream in which I was said dragon and I finally told off the the people who had been exploiting me and the shocked look on their faces was priceless but as I flew off I felt a strange sense of being lost as I now had to figure out what to do next.

10/10 I love this, it gets funnier & more relatable the longer you think about it

2022-11-29 1:40
Find
Give Thanks