Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concentration
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Concentration
What do you use, when getting ready to meditate, perform a ritual, etc., to help you concentrate and focus on your task? I find that I have a hard time focusing when I meditate and I'm not sure if it's due to my short term memory, short attention span, or something else. It's not so much that I have a problem clearing my mind, quite the opposite really, I just have a hard time staying on track while in meditation. I also have a hard time remembering what I've experienced. I was hoping that by sharing techniques I might be able to tune my concentration better.

Thanks for any input!

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2008-02-26 15:37
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Concentration
I find lighting a candle or incense and then allowing myself to focus on the flame or smoke can easily get me too unfocused enough for some “mental me time”.
The scent also helps (depending on what scents do what for you)

Other tricks don’t always work for me since some put me to sleep rather then to meditation, but thus far the above has been the most effective and simple.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-02-26 16:56
Find
Give Thanks
BlissfulIsis
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I have the same problem. I find that if I do something to relax and unwind a bit before trying (like reading or just letting my mind wander while in a dark room) that helps quite a bit.

There is nothing more uncommon than common sense. Frank Lloyd Wright

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. Albert Einstein
2008-02-26 17:49
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Take a deep breath, letting everything build up, and let everything but what I need to concentrate on out on the exhale.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-02-26 17:53
Find
Give Thanks
zimmerchild
Medical Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

if it's meditation or astral projection i tend to do this at night with all the lights off. i find then i will not be looking at everything around. also i use a meditation technique that i learned from one of my books by D.J. Conway. it tends to keep the mind focused because you have to invision what is being done. when i first used this technique i accidentaly astral projected as well. was very interesting to say the least.

~Zola.

[Image: zimmerchildsig.png]
2008-02-26 22:27
Find
Give Thanks
Ges
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Since my meditation tends to be Anapana, or Vipassana, I don't have to worry too much about losing focus, as that's part of the process. That being sad, I often use Anapana as a focus before large rituals, or more intense meditation.

So what do I do to focus? Anapana, or simply put, I focus on the sensation of my breath. As you advance in the practice you focus on smaller and smaller areas, but when you're just starting you tend to focus on everything within the triangle from the top of your nose, to the corners of your mouth, and just feel everything, external and internal, as you breath. You'll lose focus...a lot...but keep bringing your attention back, it helps develop focus and awareness.

[Image: neverforgetm.png]

When we first begin all things simply are.
As we grow all things are external.
As we learn all things are internal.
As we understand all things are not.
2008-02-27 5:13
Find
Give Thanks
Rusala
Varies from time to time....
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Well, when I decide to meditate I silence everything around me and pick a comfortable (usually sitting but sometimes laying) position. Something I find that helps for some is scented candles since they usually attract the senses making it easier to focus. Then, I always begin with the same visualization. After closing my eyes I focus on a single point of light gathering any I see to one point. Let the point move and dance as freely as possible. Just hold onto the point and begin to guide it. Once you get a feel for moving the point, draw the outline of a simple doorway. Let the doorway 'open' and feel yourself pass through it. Whatever comes next for others, I don't know.

"A dragon's wisdom is free but for the respect you pay in asking for it."
"Rak'Shakti unterra aktin" -Personal Quotes
2008-03-05 2:08
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

you know, I never thought about what I do before I sit down and meditate. I don't have something I do first other than pick a spot that is somewhat out of the way and fairly comfortable.
I concentrate on the sensation and sound of my breath to start with and then I concentrate on the boundaries of my physical body until I become fully aware of my skin while still in a fully relaxed body. From there, I do whatever I want/need.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-03-05 11:07
Find
Give Thanks
Veritas
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

To get my mind in a place where it can relax and meditate, which can be hard because I'm usually one big ball of stress, I sit in a comfortable place and close my eyes first. Like Zimm it helps me to become relaxed and less easily distracted. Then I try to gather my energy and start moving it around me letting it run all over my body. That usually does it for me. It also helps me fall asleep when I'm having issues with sleep. But to sleep I have to focus the energy differently than I would for meditating.

[Image: veritasbanner.png]
2008-03-05 15:16
Find
Give Thanks