Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonality of Fictionkin from Anime?
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Commonality of Fictionkin from Anime?
As someone who is not a fictive or from a multiple system, I have a question for those of you who are.

I've always wondered, why are so many fictionkin from anime?

I wonder because I've yet to come across someone who believes they are Albert Einstein, or Ross from Friends, or Simba from The Lion King: arguably all "famous" people/characters. (Granted, I did meet someone who claimed to be Tom Riddle once, but I'm not convinced they were genuine.)

Perhaps I'm just not hanging around fictionkin-centric spaces enough, but it seems fairly common, by a large majority, that fictionkin hail from some type of Japanese anime.

Has anyone else noticed this? And if so, why do you think this is?

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2021-05-08 19:03
Find
Give Thanks
Azaphaer
That Fly JetDragon Moderator
Kintype: Dragon, Cybertronian
Contribution: tick 

RE: Commonality of Fictionkin from Anime?
I don't know that I've noticed an overwhelming amount of anime-related fictionkin/fictives. Perhaps some are just louder? Myself, and the others who share the body with me are all fictionkin from The Transformers. So no anime characters here, though arguably the Transformers did originate as a toy made in Japan, however we can't help but relate to the American 80's cartoon and comic lines. We don't see ourselves as cartoon/comic characters, and tend to relate our experience more closely to Otherkin. Without the source copied from lives we once lived in another universe at another time, we really are just biomechanical beings from another planet.

[Image: image08.jpg?v=bf03c199]
Astral Dragon and Cybertronian Seeker
2021-05-08 21:48
Find
Give Thanks
Asherah
Super Moderator
Kintype: Unicorn, Datura stramonium
Contribution: new

I guess it depends on where you spend time, and what kind of spaces you're looking into.

One has to take into consideration that "anime" encompasses the entirety of Japanese animation- adult, and child oriented alike. You're lumping thousands of pieces of media into the same category, so naturally, you're going to see loads of anime characters. Plus, people tend to lump manga characters into the "anime" category, which is unfair, because "anime" literally means "animation". Manga is like the comic industry here- we don't conflate our comic and cartoon industries- as a matter of fact, comic geeks get extremely insulted when one does, and many adult animation fans really hate their material being referred to as "cartoons" as well.

Anyway, I can't really relate to your personal experiences, as I've been spending time in many multiple-oriented spaces, and a lot of the fictional identities present in those communities span the entire gamut. I'm also a part of kin communities on a broad range of platforms as well, and again, I see common cartoon and real life factives. Also I've met someone in the past who identified as Stephen Hawking.

It depends on the level of personal connection that's innately built into the character or individual. Albert Einstein, though inspirational, is a very, very cold and distant figure. Senkuu Ishigami from Dr. Stone, who is heavily inspired by Albert Einstein, however, is personified through the course of the anime and manga he's from to be extremely likeable, friendly, kind and determined. He has a personality you can really see, reflect off of, and relate to. Thus, it's way, way easier to form any kind of identity link than it is with a cold and distant historical figure.

Using one of my own fictional introjects as an example. :-P We have many, and though we personally have quite a few from anime and manga sources, I don't think that really accounts for much. We also have a factual introject of a real life person that i've never seen a double of. Lol. It really just depends.

multiple system of 20±.
we are hyakkimaru, dib, gutts, jeremy, seraph, hoxton, and more.

[Image: QnHghY0m.png]
2021-06-12 19:29
Find
Give Thanks
irritatedAndroid
New
Kintype: Android and Alolan Marowak
Contribution: new

I suppose I'm from anime in a way, my source being a Japanese franchise which mostly focuses on video games but also puts out related anime and manga. The majority of my ties in as fictionkind focus solely on the game side - though the games also just provide more information in general if you ask me - but I've definitely related heavily to imagery and scenes from the anime and manga which focus in on my species. I'm not quite an anime character though, simply being a non-canon Marowak and not a specific one.

I've definitely noticed a decent amount of fictionkind from anime, though not enough that I can make any sort of point about it. I've hung around in pretty anime-dominant fictionkind spaces, though even then that was more due to being friends with some and even there they were quite drowned out by folks from Western media. But there definitely has been community relations to anime, with regards to the old and outdated "otakukin" term from the early-2000's-ish.

Jasper - He/him - 23
Android - Alolan Marowak - Dragon-Hearted
Chaos magician, troublesome punk, and here for a good time.
2021-06-19 21:01
Find
Give Thanks