Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming Out to Friends and Family
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Coming Out to Friends and Family
Micah Wrote:Reading through the various topics like this was always an inspiration (and even a bit of a learning experience) for me. After all, you've gotta respect the kin who have the courage to come out to their loved ones.

So yes, this forum must have this topic of course. Did you ever come out to anyone? How did you go about doing it, and how did they react to it?

I've never told anyone face-to-face because I've never felt the need to. But I think if I ever got close enough to someone that I'd never want to keep any secrets from them, I'd tell them.

Linked to the old forum: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://okphenomena.netfreehost.com/viewtopic.php?t=97&mforum=okphenomena">http://okphenomena.netfreehost.com/view ... kphenomena</a><!-- m -->

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2008-01-10 15:19
Find
Give Thanks
Xanthus
Computer Guy
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Re: Coming Out to Friends and Family
Well, I'm not going to tell anyone outside of my closest trusted friends about anything until I'm more sure of myself, though I'm known to ramble aimlessly about philosophy and whatnot to my family at times. They sometimes even put up with it, lol.

I told me mom a long time ago I'm no longer a Catholic, and she's cool with that. IMHO, she's not either, her beliefs are way too mixed, open and varied to fit under that label anymore - but she'll never admit it. Going to church for her is a kind of 'security blanket' (her words, not mine).

My dad, I told him a year or two ago (before my non-catholic wedding), but he basically seems to ignore or purposely forget it most of the time and just treat me like I should still be a Catholic. *sigh*

So, if I ever settle on my kinship, I'd probably tell my mom, but it'd be a waste of my time tell my dad.

[Image: Xanthus.png]
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNITY!!!
2008-01-10 15:29
Find
Give Thanks
Rein
Nuisance
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Kayako Wrote:I've told my family and several friends. Not for any real reason, just because it's part of my whole process. I tell those people all my latest developments as a trial by fire.

This is how it is with me: You want to be close to me? You have to know I think this and this and this. And if you can't accept me as I am, bye bye!

I don't typically tell anyone outside of my general circle though. Though some people seem to know. O-o I got asked if I was kin once out of nowhere.
2008-01-10 15:34
Find
Give Thanks
Divinitywolf
Unknown
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Quote:Well, I'm not going to tell anyone outside of my closest trusted friends about anything until I'm more sure of myself, though I'm known to ramble aimlessly about philosophy and whatnot to my family at times. They sometimes even put up with it, lol.

Thats exactly what i was going to say until i read your post. Yeah i ramble on about philosophy to my family and usually they get annoyed when i argue some more obscure beliefs of mine(although they dont know that they're my beliefs) so i wont be telling my family any time soon, maybe never.

However my close friends i have told. I'm close to one of them that i can tell them everything and the other two i trust.
How i came out with it was over msn! I have NO self confidence so i couldn't bring myself to tell them face to face so i gabbled away over msn.

What i would reccomend, if you want to tell someone, is be subtle about it. Maybe ask if they believe in the possibility of reincarnation and life on other planets etc. And if you're sure that with their beliefs that they'll accept the concept of otherkin then go right ahead.

Fear Nothing But Fear Itself
2008-01-10 17:22
Find
Give Thanks
niku
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Quote:I'm only really out online. My boifriend knows and completely understands, as he is questioning his possible 'kin-ness as well. I wish I could tell the people I feel somewhat close to, but, hey, I've already lived in a mental health center once -- that pretty much sums up their opinion of me.

With my mumsy, I ask questions like, "You believe in reincarnation, right? Do you believe a nonhuman creature could be reincarnated into a human body?" and "What's your opinion on so-called "mythological" creatures?" I also write (poetic?) words on index cards, describing my world usually and homesickness, decorate them with glitter and whatnot, and drop them all over the house, much to my mother's dismay. I hope she gets some sort of idea; she's rather open-minded and intelligent.

=D
2008-01-10 18:52
Find
Give Thanks
Xanthus
Computer Guy
Kintype:
Otherkin:

keir Wrote:I also write (poetic?) words on index cards, describing my world usually and homesickness, decorate them with glitter and whatnot, and drop them all over the house, much to my mother's dismay.

I'm still wondering where the 'dismay' comes in. Is it from the clutter? Or from the implications?

[Image: Xanthus.png]
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNITY!!!
2008-01-10 18:58
Find
Give Thanks
Rein
Nuisance
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Xanthus Wrote:
keir Wrote:I also write (poetic?) words on index cards, describing my world usually and homesickness, decorate them with glitter and whatnot, and drop them all over the house, much to my mother's dismay.

I'm still wondering where the 'dismay' comes in. Is it from the clutter? Or from the implications?
Knowing people, probably the clutter. Glitter doesn't stick to things like it's supposed to. It goes EVERYWHERE.

When I used to have a million rocks around the house (I collected them) my folks would glare at me some times like "Can't you find a hobby that fits in a drawer and doesn't kill the vacuum if one accidentally gets in it's path?".
2008-01-10 20:54
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

I have told my husband and my best girl friend and they are very accepting of it. I also told my college friends but I'm not sure if they ever believed me or if they simply forgot it with time. I've always wondered if I should tell my best guy friend (I've known him longer than I've known my husband!) and my Mom since we're very close. I'm not sure how either of them would take it though.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2008-01-10 20:59
Find
Give Thanks
niku
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Xanthus Wrote:

Yes, it is the clutter. The glitter is just a small part of it, though. Mumsy's tired of picking up index cards, as it just adds to the work she does throughout the day.
2008-01-10 22:52
Find
Give Thanks
daemonstryke
Gas station cashier; novelist; alien
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Micah Wrote:Reading through the various topics like this was always an inspiration (and even a bit of a learning experience) for me. After all, you've gotta respect the kin who have the courage to come out to their loved ones.

So yes, this forum must have this topic of course. Did you ever come out to anyone? How did you go about doing it, and how did they react to it?

I've never told anyone face-to-face because I've never felt the need to. But I think if I ever got close enough to someone that I'd never want to keep any secrets from them, I'd tell them.

There have been a couple times that I wanted to come out to friends, I would cautiously allude to different aspects of reincarnation, testing the waters before I started spouting stuff like "Hey btw my soul is really from a different dimension!"

There have been a small handful of people I've told...who oddly enough ended up being kin themselves o.O

One person though, my old roommate from college, she is completely human and I told her about being otherkin and the weirdest thing happened...she believed me. She believed everything I told her without even blinking, telling me that it made more sense that way o.O

It completely screwed with my head for a while. I kept finding myself trying to get her to tell me I was full of BS but she just shook her head and said, "No Ashlee, you are just not human" with a smile. I was so used to walking on eggshells and being paranoid about people finding out that I didn't know how to take this sudden acceptance.

I grew into it rather quickly. It was nice to have someone from "the outside" to talk to about all of the stuff that was going on in that part of my life. We are still best friends to this day, she even asked me to be the maid of honor at her wedding ^^

*evil grin* wouldn't you like to know

[Image: 120px-300-seinfeld.gif]
2008-01-10 23:42
Find
Give Thanks