Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarification, please?
Corvinas
Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Clarification, please?
What exactly is an "energy being?" The forum descriptor says "beings that lack a body", but surely no one who displaces air literally lacks a body.
2009-02-20 4:26
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Clarification, please?
I think the descriptor was something of a joke. Of course we all have bodies or we wouldn't be typing. Unless we were some kind of fancy AI...which incidentally might be an example of an energy being that we don't normally think of. But I haven't met any tech-kin yet, or cylon-kin, but maybe I just haven't been hanging out at the right forums. No wait, we do have one 'artifact' though I'm not sure that counts. (Random humor and idle speculation are things I use a lot, so don't go taking everything, or really anything, I say as absolute literal fact.)

Ok, instead of saying beings who do lack a body, how about beings who can lack a body. Spirits, angels, demons, AI's, ET's, and who knows what else. Maybe even plain old human souls would count if you're of the belief that they can exist separately from the hardware. Though I guess AI's would still need a computer on which to run, so maybe that does rule them out.

We came up with this section because there were those who didn't fit neatly into the celestial or demon categories, or maybe as a bridge where the two recognize that they're more alike than different. It sounded good in theory, but in practice, I see that this separate section doesn't have a whole lot of posts in it.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2009-02-20 4:53
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

An "energy being" is one who, in their natural form, has no physical body: for example astral entities, spirits, all that jazz.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2009-02-20 19:15
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Archer Wrote:An "energy being" is one who, in their natural form, has no physical body: for example astral entities, spirits, all that jazz.

Exactly. Putting the "well we can never know" argument aside, if one were to have been a, say, wolf... or a cat, or a dragon, or an elf, etc. their "soul" or their "essence" or whatever it is that transferred to this body that makes them "otherkin" was still harbored in a corporeal body of some sort.

Energy beings never had an original "body" or "shell" and are just stuffed into this current human body, so to speak.

There's definitely some overlap between the two, as there seems to be with virtually any term in the kin community. And, of course, there are probably some angels, demons, etc, who had very corporeal bodies.

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2009-02-21 22:20
Find
Give Thanks
Shailla
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

So if I get it right, whatever starts out without corporeal body is energy being, right?

"Oh look I have wings on my back!"
"So.., does it mean you can fly?"
"I- I don't know.."
2009-03-30 12:45
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Shailla Wrote:So if I get it right, whatever starts out without corporeal body is energy being, right?

More or less, but there are probably exceptions to that rule too. Ascended beings come to mind, those who started off physical, but through some sort of process no longer had need for corporeal shells.

I guess the trick is, which one do you identify with? The form with a body or the form without one? If you see noncorporealness as a resting place in between incarnations, then it's the body form you identify with and you probably wouldn't call yourself an energy being. If you see incarnation as an occasional thing done for a purpose, or accident, or fun, in between long stretches of noncorporeality, then you'd probably identify more with the energy being part.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2009-03-30 16:50
Find
Give Thanks
Shailla
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Okay. First gotta figure out who/what is "me" in the first place then this.
Kinda helped, thanks.

"Oh look I have wings on my back!"
"So.., does it mean you can fly?"
"I- I don't know.."
2009-03-30 17:09
Find
Give Thanks