Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celestials and service correlation
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Celestials and service correlation
Okay, I'm just curious. I have no proof to back it up, and furthermore Celestials/Angelkin/Angels incarnae/what have you are not my specialty when it comes to kin.

It's just a simple question, really: have you/are you currently/do you plan on joining or being a member of any organization that follows a heirarchy/rank system?

Examples include, but are not limited to: military, martial arts classes, clubs with established ranking, and so on.
Stuff like the police force, firefighters, etc. Totally count!

While military positions can be considered a "job" due to the money/pay involved, it's definitely a voluntary service.

Other jobs like say, being the manager of a store through hard work and "ranking up" do not count. You're not really signing away any rights to work retail or fast food.

Secret clubs like the Masons or other lodges would count too, I suppose. But I'm kind of iffy on that one because they seem rather leisurely to me. Then again I don't know all the inner workings of them.

Ooh, another question: It's kind of an offshoot of the previous one, but have you/are you currently/do you plan to take on a service-based profession? Military again counts, so does medical, teaching, clergy, etc.

Basically I just wanna see if enough of you have similarities that there might be a correlation. Nothing else really, just curiosity. ^_^

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2011-02-20 12:29
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Celestials and service correlation
When you think about it, just about every job has a hierarchy of sorts...everyone has bosses and people who rank above them, so in that respect yes. I plan to go into the animal care field...which really doesn't relate to my particular flavor of angel, so in that respect my professional goals do not reflect my personal beliefs on me as an angel.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2011-02-20 15:31
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

But, unlike every other organization, you don't have to remove your hat every time you step inside!

Some organizations require a bit more dedication than others. Being an office jockey from 9 to 5 requires you to dress sharp, be there on time, etc. But at 5'o'clock you step out that door a free person.

Enlisting in militia, joining the police force, volunteering for peace corps, etc, entails a little more than showing up for work on time and wearing a suit. Civil service and all that jazz.

2011-02-21 16:47
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

simim23 Wrote:Some organizations require a bit more dedication than others. Being an office jockey from 9 to 5 requires you to dress sharp, be there on time, etc. But at 5'o'clock you step out that door a free person.

That depends, though. I've office jockeyed in a job where I gladly went in at 8am every morning and stayed until my work was done, sometimes 7pm or later. One notable occassion involved my boss "giving" me a massive high court appeal case the day before the final hearing, because she had a falling out with the barrister and couldn't stay in a room with him. The file was about ten inches thick and I worked on it, and enjoyed working on it, for half the night. I had co-workers who would be there 9-5 and not a second longer, but the people that were actually dedicated and saw it as a career took things seriously and paid very little attention to the clock.

Quote:Enlisting in militia, joining the police force, volunteering for peace corps, etc, entails a little more than showing up for work on time and wearing a suit. Civil service and all that jazz.

Not rnecessarily. I know police, doctors, and can think of at least one soldier for whom their jobs are just that: jobs. Generally in a "I don't really care about this, but the money is reasonable so I'll do it" sort of way.

I think in just about any organisation or job there are people who take it very seriously and are highly dedicated, and people who don't really care and do the minimum to get by. I've even been in hockey teams where things are very casual and loose, and hockey teams where things are very regimented and the rookies don't even speak unless spoken to.

Heirarchy and service seem to me like mentalities that can be taken into any job, or ignored in any job.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2011-02-21 18:50
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Well, I could slightly alter my question, then: in addition to what kind of job you do, how seriously do you take it, and what are you in it for?

I probably should have seen it coming. I suck at wording my thoughts completely sometimes. It's like the moment I put it down on text, I'm all "aww crap I need to revise it because I left this out and technically this could do this and be interpreted as this and blah blah blah."

About an hour or two after I posted this I realized that yea, hey, some people are in jobs primarily for security, some for money and/or power, and others because they genuinely wish to help people.

I've personally never been able to grasp the whole "feeling good by helping others with my career" concept. I mean, I understand it, it makes sense, but I've never been able to fully identify with it. I'm in my job for the money and screw all the competition.

However, I know plenty of people who are in certain career fields primarily because it fulfills their need/want to help people, and that line of thought, while certainly not limited to angels/celestials only, is something of a trend I've noticed among them. Which is why I was curious and went ahead and asked. XD

2011-02-22 3:33
Find
Give Thanks