Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The World Is A Stage
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

All The World Is A Stage
I noticed in another topic that there are at least a few member here involved in theatre in the past or present, myself included.

Thus, I decided that I would like to discuss theatre and anything about it.

I have been an actor, costume maker, set builder, light and sound technician, stage manager, director and script writer. I would like to make a career out of acting on the stage (if my other, more grandiose plans don't take over). I feel that live performance has a delicious charge that is lacking on film (though my interest in film is growing, thus, becoming my major XD) and I cannot imagine my life without it. I have been on stage since I was eight years old and I hope I never leave. =]

What roles have you played, if any? Favorite play or trip to the theatre? Do you have stage fright?

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2008-10-17 19:03
Find
Give Thanks
momo
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: All The World Is A Stage
I attended a stage-school for six years (ages 11 to 17 - I'd have attended longer, but 17 was the maximum age. I had to leave in March.)

And now I miss everyone there. ;_;

It was wooonderful though. I especially liked singing and voice coaching, and that buzz you get when you walk on stage is one of the best feelings in the world. Unfortunately, as I have college and other responsibilities, I don't have the time to go looking for an adult's drama group yet, but when I get into uni, we'll see. ^_~

~ *fuzzy-possibly-Lishie*

Thanks to Elinox for the banner!
[Image: momobanner2ok0.png]
Fear the Lishie, Blake and Rizumu.
2008-10-17 19:39
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Excellent topic and one that's very near and dear to my heart!

Malakoi Wrote:What roles have you played, if any? Favorite play or trip to the theatre? Do you have stage fright?

I've been in 8 musicals and 6 plays to date. Unfortunately, it's been several years since I was in a show and I miss it a great deal. Musicals I was in include: 42nd Street (dancer & ensemble), Annie (orphan #2), Wizard of Oz (jitterbug, guard & Oz girl), West Side Story (I played Velma, Riff's girlfriend), Mame (ensemble), Titanic (steerage passenger & maid), Scarlet Pimpernel (dancer & ensemble) and Fiddler on the Roof (ensemble). Dramatic plays include: Radio Daze (I played Sadie Swindle), The Storm (I played the daughter, Suzy), Captain Fantastic (I played superhero Agnes Griddle/Girl Marvel), Cast Spell (I played the villain, Verna) and 2 others I can't for the life of me remember right now. I was also in a handful of short skits while in college including Fractured Fairytales that cast members wrote themselves.

I have also been in a movie called NightMirror (I played the wife) and was one of the voice talents (the crazy fox) for the animated movie Wolf, which is still in production.

If I could have chosen any career path, it would have been actor. However I did not want to have to choose between family and career and the salary was often questionable for lower-paid actors and I didn't want to risk it. So I took the safe career path. But given the choice of a dream job, it would have been acting for me.

My dream role would be to play Maria in the Sound of Music since that's my favorite musical. I enjoy any trip to the theatre, but seats near the front are best! And yes, I do have stage fright. Because of my bad short term memory, I was constantly afraid of forgetting my lines so up until I went on stage I was always going over them.

"All the world's a stage and men and women merely players..." - Shakespeare

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2008-10-17 20:45
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

"...They have their entrances and their exits, and each man in his time plays many parts." Good quote, definitely. I've never actually been in a play, unless you actually count elementary school class plays where you had to join in. I was the crow. But I like acting. It's something I picked up from my mom, who works in customer service. There's something vaguely satisfying about lying to someone's face about how you think or feel and succeeding. Of course, I know that everyone does this kind of thing regularly, if not daily, but I actually enjoy it.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-10-18 6:50
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Deros, I am right with you. XD Though I wouldn't equate acting with deception exactly but I do get a thrill from it, like you describe. The power convince others, especially en masse, to think or feel something is addicting.

I have been in fourteen stage productions, most of which were through my high school drama program.
The list in order goes:
The Music Man - Mrs. Squires
Othello - Assorted minor roles
Into The Woods - The Giant
Romeo+Juliet - Benvolio, stage manager
A Midsummer Night's Dream - Tatania (My favorite role to date)
Chatroom - George, stage manager
A Sparkle Oats Production (I wrote it ^^) - Ensemble
A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum - One of the Gemini Twins, assistant director
The Crucible - Judge Hawthorne
Fallen Angels Don't Drink Brandy - Ted Smith
Fame - light/sound crew
Les Miserables - light/sound crew
Hamlet - stage manager
Skinny Buzzard Gulch - Alpha

I am auditioning for Twelfth Night in a few days.

I have never had stage fright that I know of. I have been perfoming since I was in kindergarten in some form or another and nothing makes me glow like applause. When I was in middle school, I was devastated not to make the casting list for the first two plays I auditioned for but I did make the third and I even got a speaking part. When the curtain went up, I knew that there was nothing I'd like to do more in life than act, so, I'm auditioning for my first fully paid role (I did get paid working on Fame and Les Miserables) this week.

2008-10-18 19:44
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I did school plays every year for ten years of the basic education level in Iceland... does that count?

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-10-19 19:35
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Absolutely. =]

2008-10-19 21:55
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

My most memorable acting experience was when we did a version of little red riding hood, I played the wolf cause I was by far the tallest person in my class...
I rocked that roll!
(Though the boy playing tarzan tended to steal the attention away from the big bad wolf :/ )

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-10-20 20:25
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I used to act in a lot of local productions when i was younger, and from there i did a few school ones. But i found that i much rather watch the play then be in it. Often I'd find myself getting kicked out of the wings during a show because i wanted to see it.

So now i just watch the plays and musicals from the audience since that's the experience i enjoy most about them (and it's usually a much better view). Growing up rather close to New York City, I've seen my fair share of on and off Broadway performances as well as what was playing at the New York Oprah House.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-10-20 20:29
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Oprah House? XD I imagine that is significantly less interesting that the Opera House. =]

My brother joined his first school play (Romeo and Juliet) today.

2008-10-21 0:30
Find
Give Thanks