Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aes Sidhe
Varkadevi
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Aes Sidhe
This species was said to be tall, slenderish, and humanoid..and often had contact with the Celts/Gaels. It is also speculated that they are connected to, or in fact *Are* the Tuatha de Danann. Firstly, I would like to know if anyone here is familiar with them in some way.. Secondly, for those that *have* experience; if this description hits home at all.

Appearance: Humanoid in appearance, similar to northern Europeans. The adults average about 5'10 - 6'4 or so in height with lean physiques(warriors slightly more so) and do not seem to age past the appearance of humans in their 30's. Skin is pale-fair on average, eye colors include green, blue, amber(probably others). Hair includes red,platinum(white),black, golden browns/blondes and rusty browns(auburn?). Garb varies from simple dresses to ornate robes and armors, and they may give off a certain terrestrial/foresty vibe. They may appear very much like humans, or appear with an otherworldly 'glow' about them, with luminous eyes. Illusory magic and elemental manipulation seem to be a specialty, and the use/affinity with totems including wolves, serpents, dragons, carrion, and birds of prey seem to be common amongst certain individuals/groups.

My thanks in advance,
Varkadevi

“A considerable percentage of the people we meet on the street are people who are empty inside, that is, they are actually already dead. It is fortunate for us that we do not see and do not know it.”
- G.I. Gurdjieff
2009-02-17 16:32
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Aes Sidhe
I don't have any experience with them, but I must ask, where'd you get your information from?

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2009-02-17 16:53
Find
Give Thanks
Varkadevi
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

That first part is a generic description from just about every source, the paragraph below it is my description of who I converse with. This post is mostly for my own sake, admittedly.. I was hoping it would click with someone's experiences at least. *shrugs*

“A considerable percentage of the people we meet on the street are people who are empty inside, that is, they are actually already dead. It is fortunate for us that we do not see and do not know it.”
- G.I. Gurdjieff
2009-02-18 17:36
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Parts sound very similar to the "elves" in my system:

- humanoid appearance similar to North Europeans
- averaging ~6ft in height
- mature appearance seems to stop aging around what would be the 30's (early 30's probably) for a human
- fair skinned
- hair and eye colors congruent with those we show, though some of these may be glamour only (the "platinum" hair you describe was a favorite glamour among some members of the House that a number of us belonged to)
- clothing congruent
- foresty/earthy
- affinity with totems/animals (seems most if not all of us had at least one we could shapeshift into, too)

So, naturally, I'm rather curious. I also have to ask, if the description is primarily based on your observations, how did you connect the species/tribe name with these beings?

-Val

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2009-02-19 0:30
Find
Give Thanks
Twilight
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Maybe if just cross cultural references. This pairing of words sounds like Aes Sedai. Kudos if you get the comment.

[Image: twilightbanner.png]
I dare an agnostic to prove he or she exists.
2009-02-19 4:48
Find
Give Thanks
Varkadevi
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Val - There was a certain Celtic element to one or more of my 'visitors'(My Father, one of them), and when I read through a few descriptions on the subject, I could not help but ponder if that was significant somehow. Additionally, the fact that you pointed out the Alfar amuses me in that, I had considered such a connection via the connection/kinship that the Elves supposedly had with the Germanic deities. The Aesir and Vanir were implied to be kin, as the Alfar to the Vanir. Yngvie(Freyr) is named as the leader of the Alfar, and other sources link them as such. The reason I find this significant is because I believe the Germanic language links back to Mesopotamia, where most of my personal connection is to be found. The link between the European languages(notably Latin and German) with India's Sanskrit has already been well-established.. and I found something which I believe links the Afro-Asiatic languages(Semitic and Egyptian, among others) with Indo-Iranian/Indo-European. Although admittedly it's possible that it could just be coincedence.. My convictions based on my personal experiences, however..still hold without anything to show for it, in terms of documentation.(Which is scarce enough on many topics anyway, when dealing with ancient/extinct cultures.

- G.I. Gurdjieff
2009-02-20 7:09
Find
Give Thanks
Acta non Verba
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I think we should remember that...

A.) "Aes Sidhe" is a gaelic word that Some gaelic speaking people used to describe some other people they came in contact with and
B.) As some manner of people group, the "Aes Sidhe" would have just as much individuality as the next guy. Thus I don't think it helps to try and narrow down how they might dress and act overly much. It's like saying.."'the Canadian is typically between 5'5" and 6'2", tends to wear plaid shirts, jeans and logger boots and other woodsy outfits...

Languages. yes Germanic is related to mesopotamia because mesopotamia is where a lot of people think he indo-european language group got its start. however, semetic-hametic is a completly different language group such that Languages like Egyptian, Hebrew and Arabic are not Indo-european languages...not sure if that is what you were saying but it looked like it.

I have a minute experience with Sidhe only in the context that i think I am one. However this is based soley on observation of energy flavors and said observations have led me to think that "Sidhe" and "Dannan" are both types of descendants of the biblical nephilim.
2009-09-04 15:41
Find
Give Thanks