Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A certain kind of unicorn? Shadhavar?
Chimera
Wild Librarian
Kintype: Large mixed-origin multiple system
Otherkin: No
Contribution: tick tick 

A certain kind of unicorn? Shadhavar?
I was looking around at different kids of unicorns in mythology. Many different kinds. I had a jolt when one description mentioned one kind as having a very striking trait that “when wind blows through the horn, a melody is produced not unlike that from a flute.” It was a Shadhahvar, a kind of Persian unicorn.

This started me, because in our innerworld, in my dreams, in my very instincts I’ve felt this. Like with how many song birds sing there tune and how wolves want to howl, I’ve always felt I should bring the humming tone similar to a flute from my horn.

I thought, could it be, I was a Shadhahvar? I read more down and around. Another mentioned having a “Gazelle-like creature with a curved horn on it's head and fangs” which is also accurate in many ways - my body type could be described as being gazelle-like depending on the species being referred to. Plus of course my corn is very curved (like a crescent really), as my phantom horn has always proved to me to be. Lastly, I do have fangs, with both equivalent of the canine teeth in an ungulates mouth being where they are while the other teeth are not. Perhaps not to un-similar to how camels actually have very sharp front teeth. Something like that. That is what I experience in our innerworld and on my phantom body as well.

So, so far very spot on. Plus other things also fit so well. For example on describes as having “dark patches mark its face, dripping down from its eyes which gives the appearance of perpetual tears.” While not tears, I do have a number of markings on my face including a star on my forehead and a snip on my nose plus I am dapple coated after all. So that is not to far off from afar.

However then the descriptions turn to something I’m not sure about. It talks about them as being “is a type of carnivorous unicorn” and they would use their music to attract “both human and animal alike“ and “Once an animal is near, the shadhahvar will use the opportunity to attack its prey in a vicious manner.” This, I’m not very like. Yes, I’ve felt I used my singing as a lure, but I’ve never thought myself as a hunter.

I am basically a semi-vegetarian of sorts while fronting. I prefer my fruits, vegetables, and grains with certain kinds of meats on the side. With meat I am very picky. It has to be warm and fresh. Not processed. Plus, I prefer white meat and don’t care for much red meat. That is how I am while fronting. In our innerworld and in my instincts, its similar. I mostly eat plant material but I’m not apposed to eat meat material. I don’t have an instinct to hunt really though. At least not in stalk, choose target, and case down sense. Not that at all.

So I’m not sure. There is so little written about the cadaver/shadhahvar. I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not.

What does anyone else think?

-Spiridon
2012-06-11 15:22
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: A certain kind of unicorn? Shadhavar?
It sounds like a very accurate type of unicorn. There are exceptions to every diet and every behavior in terms of animals, mythological and otherwise, so not feeling like a completely carnivorus hunter doesn't necessarily rule it out and there's always the possibility that you're a Shadhavar-type unicorn that we just don't have a human mythological equivalent to...a vegetarian non-hunter Shadhavar if you will. I mean, there's a vegetarian shark in some aquarium and there was that story of a lionness who looked after a baby gazelle....just because an animal is typified by certain diets and behaviors doesn't mean that some members of the species will differ. I don't see why that would be any different for a mythological animal.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2012-06-11 16:48
Find
Give Thanks
Chimera
Wild Librarian

Seraphyna Wrote:It sounds like a very accurate type of unicorn. There are exceptions to every diet and every behavior in terms of animals, mythological and otherwise, so not feeling like a completely carnivorus hunter doesn't necessarily rule it out and there's always the possibility that you're a Shadhavar-type unicorn that we just don't have a human mythological equivalent to...a vegetarian non-hunter Shadhavar if you will. I mean, there's a vegetarian shark in some aquarium and there was that story of a lionness who looked after a baby gazelle....just because an animal is typified by certain diets and behaviors doesn't mean that some members of the species will differ. I don't see why that would be any different for a mythological animal.
That makes sense. Plus I have read that just because an animal is defined as being a carnivore or a herbivore doesn't mean it will never eat something else on occasion if the need or opportunity arises.

Plus, Lunatani brought up the possibility that "maybe they thought it was only a carnivore because they only came in contact with it when it was eating meat." I'm not sure. Course there is so little in the mythology. Course isn't not uncommon for some kind to not fully and perfectly fit everything described of their kintype.

I'm going to keep looking around for more information.

- Spiridon
2012-06-11 17:09
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Would it be possible or likely that only one of your parents is a shadhavar-type unicorn? Perhaps the other is a vegetable eating type?

And it's so damn hard to tell what we are based on a small list of traits assigned to critters. A list is useful to get you close, but rarely are they dead-on accurate for every single animal associated with them, you know? I'd say that if shadhavars resonate with you with everything but the carnivorous part, it's likely they either got it wrong in the stories, or like Sera said, you're one of the odd acceptions to the rule.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2012-06-11 18:35
Find
Give Thanks
Chimera
Wild Librarian

Elinox Wrote:Would it be possible or likely that only one of your parents is a shadhavar-type unicorn? Perhaps the other is a vegetable eating type?

And it's so damn hard to tell what we are based on a small list of traits assigned to critters. A list is useful to get you close, but rarely are they dead-on accurate for every single animal associated with them, you know? I'd say that if shadhavars resonate with you with everything but the carnivorous part, it's likely they either got it wrong in the stories, or like Sera said, you're one of the odd acceptions to the rule.
Those are possibilities. So many to look into right now.

Plus, like you said so many mythical creatures have so little written about them. However, I think you are right, if shadhavars resonates then it does. It will be something I will have to look into over the next while.

- Spiridon
2012-06-11 21:24
Find
Give Thanks