Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Twist On A Familiar Question
Xanthus
Computer Guy
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

A New Twist On A Familiar Question
Every so often we see the same couple questions pop up here (and on other OK forums):
  • How do I know if I'm otherkin?[/*:m]
  • What kind of otherkin am I?[/*:m][/list:u]

The answer to these questions, invariably, is "Introspect and find the answer within yourself. Anything we tell you will only cheaper or taint it."
    I understand and agree with this reasoning and this answer, however, I keep getting it and I don't really think it fits my qeustion anymore. Let me explain:

I am at a point where I am fairly certain I AM kin, and I have a good idea or feeling about what I am...but I don't know...what IS that?? What do you call what I am? Is there a word for it?

So, I suppose the thing to do is explain what I can, answer what questions people have and see if anyone has an answer. So that's just what this thread is for. Please help me if you can.
    • I am armored - or metal. Not sure which. I see myself in armor, but I see no 'self' past that. Maybe I AM the armor, I don't know.[/*:m]
    • I am silver or platinum colored.[/*:m]
    • Though I see this armored appearance I see no weapons integral to this past the appearance of rather large and ornate gauntlets.[/*:m]
    • The guantlets have been suggested to be a weapon - but I feel more like they are a tool.[/*:m]
    • I don't seem to have/have had any inherent tendency towards good or evil, perhaps towards nuetral.[/*:m][/list:u]

I don't really know what else to list or explain. I don't have any of the fantastic past-life memories anyone else has. I do have some THIS life memories of interesting events and whatnot. I can go into that later, I don't want the initial post to be extraordinarily long.

[Image: Xanthus.png]
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNITY!!!
2008-03-25 1:31
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: A New Twist On A Familiar Question
Sounds like a guardian of some sort. Try going through major warrior titles to see if something hits you.

Question: Helmet?

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-03-25 1:39
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

sometimes you have to come up with a word to describe yourself. Make a name that seems fitting.
2008-03-25 2:18
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I don't really see it as a guardian-type of thing, so much as a forger-type of thing.

Like a blacksmith making weapons and armor.

Perhaps some sort of essence of forging? Of creation?

It's entirely possible, in my viewpoint, that one could be an essence or spirit inside a human body. Like a thunderstorm incarnated into human form, etc.

Of course, since I prescribe to some pseudo-form of animism, you could simply be a pair of gauntlets reincarnated.

And, unlike many people, I'm really not afraid to shoot ideas out there. I'm giving you enough credit from what I've seen you write and convey that you'll take any ideas I suggest with a grain of salt and think things through thoroughly. XD

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-03-25 3:18
Find
Give Thanks
Feral
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

This message says nothing.
2008-03-25 3:56
Find
Give Thanks
Xanthus
Computer Guy
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Deros Wrote:Sounds like a guardian of some sort. Try going through major warrior titles to see if something hits you.

Question: Helmet?
I think the idea of a warrior in common terms isn't fitting, unless you prescribe to the broader definition of a warrior such as Musashi described in the book of 5 rings. Then, yes, I feel that fits.

Helmet, yes. Full face, not much detail, the sides, behind the ear have a winged motiff. I will create some sort of drawing as soon as I can manage something fitting.
simim23 Wrote:I don't really see it as a guardian-type of thing, so much as a forger-type of thing.

Like a blacksmith making weapons and armor.

Perhaps some sort of essence of forging? Of creation?

It's entirely possible, in my viewpoint, that one could be an essence or spirit inside a human body. Like a thunderstorm incarnated into human form, etc.

Of course, since I prescribe to some pseudo-form of animism, you could simply be a pair of gauntlets reincarnated.

And, unlike many people, I'm really not afraid to shoot ideas out there. I'm giving you enough credit from what I've seen you write and convey that you'll take any ideas I suggest with a grain of salt and think things through thoroughly. XD
I think there's a lot of usefulness in this response. I have, on occasion been a guardian to my friends, and even to strangers, but I think that just has more to do with my personality, than any sort of calling.

As for being some sort of creator - that fits a lot more...aptly. Though, I haven't any clue what it is I'm supposed to be creating...

Animism, I think fits at some times, though I don't prescribe to EVERYTHING having a spirit - though, I think many things do.
Feral Wrote:I would presume that "remove some armor" idea might translate to your context, perhaps. Certainly trust your instincts however.

You mention color, do you have any idea on what sort of "sheen" is or is not present? (I am unsure of the value of that, but it seemed something to ask.) -- what came to mind me me was highly reflective, but silver to me is.

Hrm, if not wearing armor then perhaps as you said being the "armor", In that case I would think you'd perhaps feel an affinity towards perhaps an "owner" (my apologies I am lacking decent descriptive terms), or perhaps more "golem" like ?
I don't even know HOW it could be removed. It's a fairly form-fitting affair. Though, as mentioned, I don't really sense any form of self past the armor itself. Which makes me wonder if it even IS armor.

Sheen is high. Like polished chrome.

I discussed terms of created beings on MSN with you earlier, as mentioned there I think the terms golem or robot are not very fittings, though 'construct' could be fitting - I'll have to roll it over in my mind for a while to really decide. As to a creator...if anything, something nebulous.

2008-03-25 7:13
Find
Give Thanks
Feral
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

This message says nothing.
2008-03-25 7:28
Find
Give Thanks
Xanthus
Computer Guy
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Feral Wrote:T`wasn't me! I claim innocence (=

If it helps though, in my minding I don't think I differentiate between golem and construct, albeit there probably should be differentiation. (to elevate confusion what I define them as basically is "non living, self aware entity; oft tasked with something" but *shrug* Just my general definition, fwiw)

'course, really, might just be an energy being whom favors the stylized look of 'armor' and such like to; Appearances can and are, after all, deceiving.
Sorry, was late and since you'd brought up something I'd been discussing on MSN with someone on the forum, I thought it was you and didn't bother looking at the name.

When I think golem I think in more traditional terms. Something built of earth & clay or some nonliving muck that is then invested with a spirit and made into a sort of metaphysical robot for the creator.

A construct is something more in terms of a group of energy(ies) that is bound together towards a certain end that may or may not be self-aware.

I suppose I could just favor that look, though to me, it feels more like the look is important for some reason - but perhaps the point that there is something important about it is simply why I'd favor it. As it is, I'm fairly sure it IS some sort of energy being, both because the legs seem ill-defined, sort of like the genie from Aladin, and also because of the issue I generally have with actually maintaining a physical body.

2008-03-25 12:14
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

You've looked through various 'kin types and nothing seems to click? Because if you're some type of guardian, with armor, the first thing that comes to my mind is either gargoyle or dragon. Are you human-shaped or something else that wears armor? Do you walk quadruped or biped? Any other physical features like wings or horns that you've noticed? Also, do you experience phantom limbs? If so, can you remember what exactly the limb was or how it moved/felt?

And while it's good to ask questions of others to see if we've got a name for something you've never heard of, meditation is still key here. When you meditate (if you do that is) how do you perceive your aura? Are you protective or aggressive? Take notice of the little things. Sometimes the most basic things are staring you right in the face the whole time.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2008-03-25 14:04
Find
Give Thanks
Xanthus
Computer Guy
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Elinox Wrote:You've looked through various 'kin types and nothing seems to click? Because if you're some type of guardian, with armor, the first thing that comes to my mind is either gargoyle or dragon. Are you human-shaped or something else that wears armor? Do you walk quadruped or biped? Any other physical features like wings or horns that you've noticed? Also, do you experience phantom limbs? If so, can you remember what exactly the limb was or how it moved/felt?

And while it's good to ask questions of others to see if we've got a name for something you've never heard of, meditation is still key here. When you meditate (if you do that is) how do you perceive your aura? Are you protective or aggressive? Take notice of the little things. Sometimes the most basic things are staring you right in the face the whole time.
I don't really know anything about gargoyles in actual mythology, outside of the architectural things, and absolutely nothing about gargoyle as a kintype.
I am human shaped, though as mentioned above, the matter of legs is rather hazy.
I don't experience any sort of additional phantom limb phenomena, though I do experience sort of 'shifts' I suppose you'd call them, where things just feel different. Such as I'll feel sort of detached for a moment, larger/taller than I am. Sometimes I catch myself out of breathe because I've forgotten to breathe for too long. I find myself tensing odd muscles sometimes for no apparent reason, semi-unconsciously. I just generally am not very comfortable in my own skin.

My own aura I perceive often as a sort of shiny thing, kind of metallic, like I see myself. The color shifts as auras are usual to do, but there is usually at least traces of that silver color there, though I used to see it as a gold...I'm not sure if that was just wrong, or if it changed...

As to protective/aggressive, I suppose I feel somewhat nuetral on that as well. I'm a bit of a fighter, IRL, and I think that spills over into my nature, as one's nature does change over time to match one's self, I'm not sure if that's part of my inner nature or anything, though. I do tend to be somewhat protective of my friends and/or family when I need to be, and I am somewhat agressive when persuing something that I need to, but overall, I don't think I have an innate bent one way or the other.

If you look at Angels & Demons as points on a spectrum of 'celestial' I have a vague feeling I fit SOMEWHERE on that spectrum, though I don't think I fall directly into either of those extremes. Not sure if that makes any sense.

2008-03-25 14:48
Find
Give Thanks